[COMMENT: The author, Rick Mathes, is a well known
prison ministry leader. This little dialogue shows how persistent
presentation of the truth, the hard truth, and nothing but the truth,
will win. If not right now, usually not too far down the road,
and, in the end, always. Pray that Christian clergy will become
of that caliber, e.g., in the struggle for sexual sanity.
You can be sure that the imam below did not "feel
good" about this dialogue. But if speaking the truth (clarity of
fact and logic, yes, in love) cannot be done without causing pain, then
pain there will be. Christians should never aim at persons.
We aim at falsehood, deceit, evil, ignorance of all sorts. But if
anyone clings to his ignorance or his sin, then he is putting himself
in the line of Godly fire.
The 2-edged Sword of the Spirit -- reason wedded
back to back with revelation -- is an invincible weapon. As
in, "Come, let us reason together" -- the Sword wielded by God like a
surgeon's scalpel. Deo Gratia! E. Fox]
By Rick Mathes
- Last month I attended my annual training session that's required
for maintaining my state prison security clearance. During the training
session there was a presentation by three speakers representing the
Roman Catholic, Protestant and Muslim faiths who explained their belief
- I was particularly interested in what the Islamic Imam had to
- The Imam gave a great presentation of the basics of Islam,
complete with a video. After the presentations, time was provided for
questions and answers.
- When it was my turn, I directed my question to the Imam and
- "Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that most
Imams and clerics of Islam have declared a jihad [Holy war] against the
infidels of the world. And, that by killing an infidel, which is a
command to all Muslims, they are assured of a place in heaven. If
that's the case, can you give me the definition of an infidel?"
- There was no disagreement with my statements and without
hesitation he replied, "Non-believers!"
- I responded, "So, let me make sure I have this straight. All
followers of Allah have been commanded to kill everyone who is not of
your faith so they can go to Heaven. Is that correct?"
- The expression on his face changed from one of authority and
command to that of a little boy who had just gotten caught with his
hand in the cookie jar. He sheepishly replied, "Yes."
- I then stated, "Well, sir, I have a real problem trying to
imagine Pope John Paul commanding all Catholics to kill those of your
faith or Pat Robertson or Dr. Stanley ordering Protestants to do the
same in order to go to Heaven!"
- The Imam was speechless.
- I continued, "I also have problem with being your friend when
you and your brother clerics are telling your followers to kill me. Let
me ask you a question. Would you rather have your Allah who tells you
to kill me in order to go to Heaven or my Jesus who tells me to love
you because I am going to Heaven and wants you to be with me?"
- You could have heard a pin drop as the Imam hung his head in
- Chuck Colson once told me something that has sustained me these
20 years of prison ministry.
- He said to me, "Rick, remember that the truth will prevail."
- And it will!
* * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * *
Go to: =>
TOP Page; => Islam
Library; => Apologetics Library; => ROAD MAP